Helping People Live Healthy and Productive Lives
One in five adults experience mental illness each year and one in twenty experience serious mental illness. Eliot’s Behavioral Health Community Partner (BHCP) Program highlights that targeting resources, fully integrating teams, developing care plans that encourage patient buy-in, and attending to outcomes are the building blocks of improved health and overall wellness for individuals experiencing challenges related to mental health, substance use, and complex physical health issues. Specifically, a recent analysis found that individuals engaged in Eliot’s BHCP had:
- Improved access to Outpatient Behavioral Health Care;
- Improved medication adherence;
- Improved behavioral health follow care after a psychiatric hospital discharge;
- Improved access to preventive physical health care; and
- Reduced psychiatric admissions and readmissions.
In partnership with Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs), Eliot’s BHCP is just one component of the Commonwealth’s investment in behavioral health care and commitment to providing access to high quality care for MassHealth members.
The backbone of our success is our highly skilled team of Care Coordinators, Nurses, Peer Specialists and Recovery Coaches who reach out and engage individuals to work together to identify and access services at the right time and right place. This voluntary, free service is available to MassHealth members and provides:
- Help accessing care and services for mental health, substance use and/or physical health
- Care Coordination with all care providers – Primary Care Physician, Psychiatrist, and others
- Support during transitions of care following stays in hospital or rehab settings
- Access to services that support independence and wellness in the community
- Help with appointments – reminders, help with scheduling or finding the right service
- Connection to resources to help with housing, food security, training and job supports
- Help to understand MassHealth benefits and other entitlement programs
- Provide information on resources including Personal Care Assistance, Homemaker, Transportation services, and help with shopping and other activities
- Assistance identifying groups focused on health and wellness, nutrition, weight management, chronic disease management, social, recreational, exercise and alternative care approaches
Click here for a summary of the findings.
For more information about each of the findings, click the buttons below:
Learn more about BHCP here.